SHBA, formed in 1993, developed out of the ongoing issue of parking. Businesses at the time began to discuss options and solutions to their parking concerns. From those discussions, it was felt that an association was needed to provide a forum in which to address the myriad of issues facing area businesses.
The South Hennepin Business Association is a non-profit corporation of businesses devoted to enhancing the economic vitality of the South Hennepin area by promoting and supporting area businesses.
· SHBA created and oversees the South Hennepin Special Service District ($100k annual budget) focused on:
o Snow Services
o Sidewalk Cleaning
o Boulevard and Landscape Maintenance
o Holiday Season Decorations
o Trash Receptacle Servicing
· SHBA provides a unified, more powerful voice in City Hall
o Commercial Building Inspection Program (Present)
o Uptown Zoning Study (2007)
o Hennepin Avenue Task Force participation (1990s)
o Addressed Parking Issues on Hennepin Avenue
· SHBA serves as the Voice of the local Business Community to City of Minneapolis elected officials, Department Heads, City Staff, Area Stakeholder Groups
· SHBA creates the opportunity to meet other area business people
· SHBA provides valuable information about development and other issues facing the South Hennepin business district
· SHBA creates a forum to discuss and address Crime and Safety issues
· SHBA creates a forum to meet Key City Officials (Mayor, City Council Members, Police Chief and others)
· SHBA convenes periodic Business Meetings where we bring in key speakers on issues that affect our business district.
· SHBA periodically distributes Email Updates and Newsletter Updates covering issues that affect our business district.
· SHBA creates opportunities to jointly market and promote the South Hennepin business community including:
o Directory (Future)
o Revamped Website (Future)
o Coop Advertising and Promotions